Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A bit about me and why i play the didgeridoo:


<--from the top of the home I visited in Colombia.
A bit about me:
My name is Allan and at 15 years of age I went to Venezuela for a summer trip. During that trip I found a passion for helping others and traveling to many different nations. The age of twenty was a defining moment in my life as I began to seek my God for what and how I was to follow my passions. Three months later I found myself in morocco and the journey begins. Since then I’ve been all around the world and one of the things that remains the same is people are passionate about music. It could be that music is so annoying or wow what a beautiful sound. But one thing is for sure is that music breaks down languages and brings people together, rarely in anger.
In 2003 I was in worship with my roommates and one stops playing and declared “I see you playing the didgeridoo”, I must tell you it is a little refreshing and eerie to be around a prophetic person. Honestly I had wanted to play one since about sixteen. But that night he gave me a piece of PVC and I was playing up a storm. Ha Ha not really. The next eight months I struggled with playing and got so frustrated that I ended up back at my place of prayer but soon after , circular breathing.
Now years later I’ve been able to incorporate the didgeridoo into my pursuit of helping others. It has become a wonderful tool to learning languages and many other things. Like in Bogotá Colombia sitting with some local children and teaching them how to play while I was learning Spanish, In Galveston TX doing relief work for the hurricane Ike victims. In Holland playing with some street folks and being able to share stories of hope and God’s love for them. In every case I was able to give away some bamboo didgeridoos that I’ve made and just share some joy.
Now by this time I’m sure my story to most sounds like a hippie flakey pipe dream. I do work I’m a boilermaker, stock trader and a land lord I do well at all of these things. They provide the means for me to do what I really enjoy doing. In Spanish their language distinguishes between hard work trabajo and passion work obrar. In my life my trabajo helps fulfill my obrar.
These are some of the reasons why the didgeridoo and other culture softening tools are important to me.

Bye for now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment